Posts for tag: dental crowns
Gaps don't have to become a permanent feature of your smile. Dental implants restore lost teeth and improve your appearance. Our Louisville, KY, dentist, Dr. Kenneth Hofmann, explains how the dental implant process works.
What are the steps in the implant process?
Receiving a dental implant requires a three-step process. During the first appointment, a small opening will be made in your jawbone after you receive an anesthetic. After the implant is placed in the opening, it's covered with gum tissue. When your implant has bonded to your jawbone, a process that may take three to six months, you'll receive an abutment, which will connect a dental crown to the implant. An impression of your mouth that will be used to create the crown will also be obtained.
During the third step in the process, you'll visit our Louisville office to receive your dental crown. The implant process may be extended by several months if you need bone grafts due to a shallow jawbone.
Are you a good candidate?
Dental implants may be a good choice for you if:
- You're in good health. Some diseases, such as immune system conditions or diabetes, may affect healing, which can compromise the success of implants.
- You have a deep jawbone. If your jawbone is too shallow, it won't be able to support dental implants. Luckily, the problem can often be corrected by adding bone grafts to your jawbone before the implant process begins.
- You don't smoke. Smoking can also affect healing and may increase the likelihood that you'll experience an infection that can loosen your dental implant.
- You have a good oral hygiene routine. Even though your new tooth may be artificial, it's still important to keep it clean by brushing and flossing it daily. Failure to brush and floss around the implant may increase the chance of an infection.
What are the advantages of dental implants?
Dental implants offer several important benefits. They feel more like real teeth, don't slip, keep your jawbone strong and prevent your other teeth from shifting by closing the gap in your smile.
Are you ready to get rid of the gaps in your smile? Call Louisville, KY, dentist, Dr. Hofmann, at (502) 895-7715 to schedule an appointment.
Metal free crowns are an excellent option for replacing missing teeth, strengthening weakened or damaged teeth or improving the appearance of imperfect teeth.They offer several advantages over metal crowns, such as being more durable and having a more natural appearance. Dr. Kenneth Hofmann is your dentist for metal free crowns in Louisville, KY.
Reasons for Getting Crowns
Metal free crowns can serve a variety of functional and cosmetic purposes. Some of the reasons for getting metal free crowns in Louisville include:
- Concealing cosmetic problems, such as cracks, chips and discolorations.
- Strengthening teeth that have become weak and worn down over time.
- Strengthening teeth that have become damaged due to injury or decay.
- Covering a decayed tooth after a root canal.
- Replacing missing teeth and covering a dental implant.
- Sealing teeth with cavities that are too large to fill.
- Anchoring a dental bridge securely in place.
Advantages of Metal Free Crowns
Metal free crowns can be made from various materials, such as porcelain, ceramic or resin. Metal crowns, on the other hand, can be made entirely of metal, as with gold crowns, or they can be composed of a mix of metal and non-metal materials, such as porcelain fused to metal. Metal free crowns offer several advantages over metal crowns. For instance, they look more natural and tend to be more stable.
Crowns made from porcelain, ceramic or resin closely resemble natural tooth enamel. Further, the color, shape and size of porcelain, ceramic or resin crowns can be perfectly matched to a patient’s existing teeth so that the crowns blend in and look natural. Metal crowns do not have the same look as the natural teeth and can stand out when smiling.
Another advantage of metal free crowns is they tend to be more stable. Normal tooth functions, such as biting and chewing, can be performed without worry.
In Louisville, metal free crowns can be placed by Dr. Hofmann. To schedule an appointment, call the office at (502) 895-7715.